After heavy smoke cancelled most of the inaugural Super League Triathlon in Penticton last month, organizers have announced they will be back for a second year in 2019.
Registration for the triathlon opens on Saturday, ahead of the event scheduled for Aug. 21-25 next year.
Heavy smoke from wildfires forced two of the three race days to be cancelled this year. However, race director Michael Brown said there was lots of positive attention around the event and said organizers aren’t deterred.
“The excitement around the events that we did get in was really high, and the response from athletes was all positive,” Brown said.
“I don’t believe this is the new normal where we’ll have smoke like that every summer … I just see it as a one-year thing and we’re looking forward to having two times the athletes in Penticton next year.”
Brown said some races will be added next year and organizers are anticipating higher registration numbers.
The unique short-course triathlon had nearly 1,000 people register in Penticton for the age-group category this past summer. It notably included a professional category of 27 athletes from North America, Europe and Eurasia.
All Biz Releases Stories