Okanagan Valley wines have a strong presence on this year’s list of the Top 25 wines at Cornucopia 2017.
Cornucopia is a food and drink festival hosted in Whistler, B.C. Entering its 21st anniversary this fall, the festival attracts more than 15,000 people to the resort town each year.
Every winery that takes part in the festival is given the opportunity to enter their choice of their wines into the Top 25 competition.
This year, as in previous years, the “impressive number of submissions” featured a selection of entries from across the globe.
The 25 winning wines were decided by an expert panel of 11 judges, who selected Okanagan Valley wines as both the best red and best white wines in the competition.
Quails’ Gate’s Reserve Chardonnay 2015 took the title of the top white wine in the competition, while TIME Winery’s Syrah 2013 earned the top red designation.
An additional eight Okanagan Valley wines also made the “best of the rest” list. The full list of winning wines appears below.
Vancouver wine writer DJ Kearney is the head judge at the competition. She gathered with a diverse panel of judges from across province at The Cellar by Araxi for the closed blind-tasting that decided the winners.
“Cornucopia participants keep raising the bar on the selection of wines put forward for this competition. Holding the judging in Whistler makes so much sense, and our venue, The Cellar by Araxi, was brilliant. Congratulations to all the winners,” she said.
The Top 25 winning wines include:
- 50th Parallel Estate Pinot Noir 2015 (Lake C0untry);
- 50th Parallel Estate Riesling 2016 – (Lake Country);
- Barossa Valley Estate Shiraz 2015;
- Basel Cellars Double River Vineyard Syrah Walla Walla 2013;
- BenMarco Malbec 2015;
- Clos du Soleil Signature 2013 (Keremeos);
- Corcelettes Estate Winery Pinot Noir 2016 (Keremeos);
- David Hill Vineyard & Winery Estate Grown Willamette Valley Pinot Noir 2014;
- DeLille Cellars Chaleur Estate Blanc 2015;
- DeLille Cellars D2 2013;
- Desert Hills Gamay 2016 (Oliver);
- El Esteco Don David Reserve Malbec 2015;
- Fort Berens Riesling 2016;
- Howling Bluff Pinot Noir, ACTA Vineyard 2014 (Penticton);
- Kestrel Vintners Yakima Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2013;
- Long Shadows Pedestal Merlot 2014;
- Lunessence Pinot Blanc Oraniensteiner 2016 (Summerland);
- Rocca delle Macie Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG 2011;
- Thornhaven Estates Winery Gewurztraminer 2016 (Summerland);
- Treana Blanc 2014;
- Treana Red 2014;
- Villa Maria Single Vineyard;
- Southern Clays Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2016;
- Vina Ventisquero Grey Cabernet 2014.
More information about Cornucopia 2017 is available here.
All Biz Releases Stories